History of Holly Pond
The town of Holly Pond derives its name from a naturally occurring pond that was located in the heart of the town. The pond was fed by an underground spring that supplied fresh water for wildlife and travelers throughout the year. An impressive feature of the pond was the large American Holly trees that grew around the entire site. Early travelers and hunters would often camp at the location which was simply referred to as the holly pond.
The earliest road through the area was from Blountsville, the county seat of Blount County, to the town of Somerville, in Morgan County, where the Federal Courthouse was located. It appears that a stagecoach route had been established using this road as early as 1835. The road came from Blountsville to the holly pond, then turned northwest toward Somerville. Much of this old road route is still in use today. The first of the East / West roads in the area ran from Brooksville to the Mace Thomas Payne Brindley Place near Simcoe. This road passed just North of here, intersecting with the Blountsville - Somerville Road.
In 1872 a school was constructed near the holly pond to replace the Mud Creek School which was located about a mile east of this new location. This was the first structure to be built on the site that was to become the Town of Holly Pond.
By 1884 a town had begun to develop around the school and the holly pond, as a general store had been built and stocked with necessary staple items, as well as cloth and thread.
In 1886 in addition to the school a Baptist and Methodist Church had been established. All of these were identified as being located at Holly Pond.
In 1888 the U.S. Postal Service approved a post office in the name of Holly Pond. The following year, 1889, the town of Holly Pond first appeared on local and state maps.
By 1896, Holly Pond had become a thriving community with five stores, a post office, a blacksmith's shop, a sawmill, a gristmill, and a cotton gin. The town had two doctors, two preachers, two churches and a literary school with an enrollment of over one hundred pupils.
In 1900 the town was incorporated, a mayor and council were elected, and a town marshal was hired. About two years later, the town voted to unincorporate.
In 1912, the town voted again to incorporate and has remained an incorporated municipality since that time. -djs-